- All communications are conducted electronically.
- For printed onsite Conference materials, BSR uses paper that is made with 100 percent recycled fiber and 50 percent post-consumer waste, processed without chlorine.
- BSR uses low-VOC (Volatile Organic Compound), vegetable-based inks for printed onsite Conference materials.
- BSR produces Conference signs on 100 percent recovered fibers with an average of 35 percent post-consumer waste content; 95 percent of signs are to be produced locally, requiring no shipping.
- BSR completely eliminated a printed program through the use of a mobile app.
- Waste diversion for landfill, compost, and recyclables will be measured.
- The degree of local and organic menu items will be tracked.
- The benefits of water bottle elimination and recycled-content paper use will be estimated.
- Paperless check-out program in sleeping rooms will be implemented.
- Housekeeping will leave soaps and toiletries that attendees have partially used in their rooms instead of replacing them each day.
- Hotel staff will turn down the heat/air conditioning, shut drapes, and turn off the lights when rooms are vacant.
- A towel and sheet reuse program is in place for all sleeping rooms.
- Recycling bins for glass, plastic, metal, and paper will be available on all lodging floors.
- The Conference venue was chosen so that attendees do not need to use ground transportation to get to the sessions.
- BSR will offset 100 percent of the carbon emissions generated by travel and facility use during the Conference.
- Attendees are encouraged to choose ground transportation options that minimize their carbon footprint, such as mass transit, rail service, and car-sharing or shuttle services.
Food and Beverage
- 100 percent of fruits will be sourced locally and seasonally; no tropical fruits will be offered.
- There will be 100 percent elimination of plastic water bottles (saving 3,732 plastic bottles and US$37,470 in purchases)
- Menus will be crafted with local, organic, and sustainable ingredients when possible, and vegetarian meals will be available.
- The coffee offered will be 100 percent shade-grown, fair trade, and organic.
- Food waste will be recycled and/or composted, as permitted by law.
- China, glassware, and cloth napkins will be used at all banquet functions.
- Polystyrene products will be avoided.
- Condiments, except sugars and sweeteners, will be served in bulk containers.
- Disposable serviceware will not be used.
- Natural and biodegradable table décor will be used.
- Recycling bins for glass, plastic, metal, and paper will be available on all meeting floors.
- The hotel will recycle cardboard, glass, plastic, and aluminum cans.
- Leftover and unused materials will be donated to a nonprofit organization.
- No tote bags or giveaways will be distributed.
- Registration badges and lanyards will be made of recycled materials with no separate plastic holder. Recycling bins will be available for lanyards.
- Exhibitors and speakers are requested to print handouts double-sided, on 100 percent post-consumer paper with vegetable-based ink, and to bring a minimal amount to distribute.
- BSR has asked the exhibit freight transport company to use biodiesel fuel.
- All communications with speakers, sponsors, and the hotel are electronic.
- Conference registration is entirely online and confirmations are electronic.
- Conference office equipment is all Energy Star-rated.